Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Grr.

Last week, during a quick lunch hour walk around the block, I made a donation for a poppy outside of a local grocery store. I had so much admiration for this veteran, standing outside in the wet, cold weather balancing the little plastic box with poppies in it on little more than a cement stand used to prevent cars from running into the store. How amazingly humble and a simple yet incredibly powerful reminder of the sacrifice that was made and continues to me made by those who choose unselfishly, bravely and heroically to put themselves in harm's way for others...

I put my donation into the little box, and looked up at the man... Left side right, I wanted to make sure.... M'am he said, motioning to me and taking the poppy, when you put it on, do it like this (shows me to stick the pin back through the poppy). Thank you.... (wanting to stop and talk to him more but running late getting back from lunch)...

I pinned the poppy exactly the way he told me, and inspite of pulling my coat on and off, smushing it under my desk, or putting my seatbelt on and off, it has stayed perfectly in place.

And then this is what makes today's headline. GRR.

1 comment:

Dem Soldier said...

The eulogy U wrote for Vicki is wonderful, it shows the love U jhave for her, and the person she was.....RIP VICKI.......