I went to see my regular doctor today. I LOVE her. She gave me back control of my life and my health after getting sick. I can't express how grateful I am to her for that. Instead of just writing me a prescription and some brief "itis" diagnosis... She introduced herself by her first name and patiently sat and wrote down every single drug that my previous doctors had "tried out" (GRR - I felt like a walking pharmacy), listened to what my life was like, what I had next in my life and gave me a plan. A plan that for the first time allowed me some control of the stupid sickness that took over my body. A plan that not only allowed me to get on the right path to getting better but has since taught me how to take care of myself. So much so that she commented that she rarely sees me anymore.
Some lessons in life are harder to learn. So, I will share this... I cannot stress enough that the onus for good care is on the patient, is on us. We have a responsibility to take care of ourselves, to ask questions, to demand (if necessary) the care we deserve.
So, Wednesday, I went to the walk in clinic. And, the doctor there is pretty good -- personable, explains things well, nice guy... but after waiting for almost 2 hours sent me off with "get new shoes and try this exercise". I went to see my regular doctor today. Rather than sending me off to buy new shoes (which might be valid), she has a plan. She's told me what she thinks it is, and is sending me to physio to try and see what can be done about it. She's also explained why I'm in pain, and my options to deal with it. And, if all of that doesn't work, she has a plan c. So while it temporarily hurts, I feel better knowing that I have plan to get rid of the pain and back to aerobics.
Since I'm an accountant to put it simply:
good doctor + asking a lot more questions = better trina :) = better life
To good health and happy active lives,
t.
Friday, February 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment