Friday, October 07, 2005

My computer consumer report

Caveat Emptor.

Well, just under 3 months ago (June 21) I purchased the Dell Inspirion 600m. I have had nothing but problems ever since including a very condescending technical support person who suggested that I simply not use a feature of the computer that was not working. I bought from Dell because I heard good things about their products and service, apparently I got the lemon of the bunch.

The computer was defective out of the box, a tech support person and a friend who is a compsci grad fixed it over the phone. Apparently, the band-aid fell off and again, it's not working properly! Further, I set the power saving features to turn off the monitor after x-minutes of no use -- it does not work properly, while the hard disk is still running, the monitor won't turn back on! This is the feature that the service tech told me "well then just don't use it".... yeah, thanks. The on/off switch sticks (or something else is wrong with it) so it's difficult from this point to get it to turn back on. The past few days when trying to open applications on the desktop, the programs open slower than the Pentium 1 computer that I have had for 4 years -- and that computer has problems! Forget about trying multiple applications at once either -- the computer froze yesterday just with using MSN and internet explorer (I usually use firefox). Not to mention trying to re-start the computer! Further, the area just below the keyboard, where I suppose the processor is, heats up to the point that unless I'm wearing a long sleeves and a few layers at that, it is impossible to use because it's burning hot! I've had it on now for less than an hour and it's already hot through a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt.

I called Dell Customer Care today and explained the situation. Having worked in a Call Centre before, and in customer service, I also apologized to her for being frustrated etc. She told me not to worry because she would be frustrated too! I was informed that outside of 30 days from the date of invoice, I cannot request a replacement or return -- well, the computer worked after the tech guy told my friend how to repair it over the phone, so why would I replace it. And the second tech guy, even if perhaps not so wise advice, I am relying on their expertise. I reminded her that it was THEIR technical support people that I dealt with. Along the way, none have advised me that I could send it in for repair -- perhaps that's just asking for too much quality service! Further, does that mean that they only expect their product to last 30 days? It's been less than 3 months and already defective so what faith do they have in their own product if they won't replace it.

I asked what my recourse is if the level two tech guy who will phone in a few days is unable to fix it. She said that I could then call customer care again and try to request a replacement but that they will look at the fact that I did not send it in to replace hardware. I informed her that I am an accountant, not a computer science graduate and how am I supposed know that it needs hardware replacement if their technical support people (they have it logged that I phoned) give me a band aid fix over the phone.

I'm sure that there are happy Dell customers out there but I would advise against purchasing this particular model or from Dell. A computer is a big investment and something that many of us, once purchased rely upon and perhaps buying something that you can try out in a store and take back to a person when there are problems is a much better way to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Inspiron_600M_for_Home_Pentium_M_170GHz_256MB_40GB/4505-3121_7-30984336.html